Sound 1:

Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles

Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles is a song that tells the story of a woman who died in the church. The inspiration behind the song is unclear to this day, but it is a very poetic piece of music.

Eleanor Rigby should be included because the Beatles are a very influential band and this is one of my personal favourites of theirs. The Beatles were huge all over the world in their prime and if everyone on earth knows their names extraterrestrial beings should too, their music changed a lot over the course of their career but it managed to stay relevant and keep a solid following of most of the world.  I chose Eleanor Rigby specifically because it’s quite poetic and shows how the lyrics can change how a piece of music makes you feel and how the music can help to convey a story that might be less effective than words alone.

Sound 2:

Glenn Gould

This is a recording of Glenn Gould playing a piece by Bach, while he plays he sings a long which is something he did every time he played.

This recording of Glenn Gould should be included because Glenn Gould was an influential, quirky Canadian piano player. It’s important to include music from all over the world and being in Canada I would like to showcase one of our own amazing talents. I also like this recording because you can hear him sing along, this is important because it gives better insight to his personality as well as his music. (Fun fact: my great uncle Charles Verne Edquist was Glenn Gould’s piano tuner).

Sound 3:

Ducks Quacking

This is the sound of mallard ducks quacking. This a sound I hear quite a bit living near a creek and having a pond in my backyard, the ducks are always happy to quack and say hello.

I think this sound should be included because I think that the sound of a quacking duck is usually a joyful one that deserves to be heard. It is a sound that most people on earth have probably heard in their life time and therefore deserves to be shared with extraterrestrial life forms as well.